Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Can Brian Scalabrine Get Another NBA Gig?




Brian “White Mamba” Scalabrine is currently a free agent & it’s looking like he may not be in the NBA for his 12th season. Which is still quite impressive he’s made it this far, considering his isn’t the most athletic or talented guy, not to mention that he looks like a giant ginger dad from the suburbs. A true fan favorite, He’s been embraced by fans & teammates alike, but it’s hard for us to think of Scal seriously sometimes, with his almost naïve level of optimism, general appearance, & “Scal-a-Brine” chants. Scalabrine was pretty much viewed as a human victory cigar for Tom Thibodeau & usually played garbage time. Scalabrine also already has alternatives to playing in the NBA next year, with an offer from European team, a broadcast job in the wings & I’m sure Doc or Thibs would be happy to have him as an assistant (other than his acting gig). But he’s determined to play in the NBA next year as noted in Sam Smith’s excellent article:


“I’d be discouraged if I just quit,” said Scalabrine, who remains without an NBA team after being told by the Bulls he will not be invited to return. “Everyone keeps telling me it’s not quitting (taking an already offered TV job). But I want someone to tell me, ‘We don’t want you.’ I’ve always been a tough cut to make. I want someone to tell me I’m not good enough. I just want to see what happens.”


If he is determined to play next year, I actually think there are a number of teams that could benefit from him being on the squad. The same things that made Kevin Garnett say he was his best team mate ever or compelled Jason Kidd to thank Scal for all he’s done for the team haven’t gone anywhere. Scalabrine could still contribute to a team, perhaps not in a conventional way, but he still has a lot to offer. He is a match made in heaven for a big man who has all the physical abilities but lacks the effort & focus to be able to live up to their potential. The guy is practically made for a Jack Haley like role to someone else’s Rodman. Guys like DeMarcus Cousins, JaVale McGee, & even an established player like Andrew Bynum could learn a little bit from the White Mamba.

It may be hard for guys like that to completely buy into what a coach says, so bringing back Scal as a player isn’t crazy by any means, sometimes these guys need to hear it from their peers, not their bosses. I think maybe even the best fit for him might be somewhere like Denver (not only so I can continue the Scal-a-Brine chant) because I think that JaVale & Faried could both benefit from his mentoring. Faried sometimes plays with an almost chaotic level of energy & Scal could help with his development. But I think the best thing he could do is buddy up with a guy like JaVale (kind of like he did with Omer Asik) and get him to buy into the work ethic, focus & studying habits that’s necessary for him to become an allstar. Part of this is I think JaVale is more of a knucklehead (low basketball IQ, lacks focus) than a head case (bad attitude, selfish), if that makes any sense. Even if he can’t help in that way, to be honest, guys with bad attitudes & similar talent levels have already been signed by NBA teams.

I think former head coach Tom Thibodeau sums it up best in Sam’s article what the White Mamba can bring to the table:

“You don’t measure him in stats,” said Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, who added he is disappointed to lose Scalabrine. “He knows how to win; he helps you win. To me, he’s invaluable with what he brings to a team.”

If nothing else, he's got a REALLY great post game interview in him if you do win the title. I think the Rockets should pick him up just to get another power forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, ideas? Just want to tell me I'm an idiot? Cool!